The Meadows Race Track
The Meadows is a harness racing track in Meadow Lands, Pennsylvania. The track lies on 155 acres of land in the greater Pittsburgh area.
The Meadows has been a popular part of Pennsylvania's professional sports scene since its opening in 1963. It holds year-round harness racing that includes about 225 live racing days.
The Meadows has several off-track locations within the Greater Pittsburgh area. As such, it's becoming a key component of the city's rapidly expanding entertainment scene.
The Meadows hosts many special events during the year, most notably the Delvin Miller Adios Week which is a series of major harness stakes races that culminates with the state's richest stakes, the $500,000 Adios Pace for the Orchids.
The track is also the home of the Messenger Stake, one of the legs of harness racing's Triple Crown. Harness racing's Triple Crown also includes the Cane Pace (held at Yonkers Raceway) and the Little Brown Jug (in Delaware, Ohio).
Other big events hosted by The Meadows include the Pennsylvania Sire Stakes (PASS), Currier & Ives and the Keystone Classic.
The Meadows Track Facts
|• Speed Rating||:||1:59|
|• Length of Homestretch||:||608'|
|• Width of Homestretch||:||80'|
|• Starters behind the gate||:||9|
|• "Open" Stretch||:||yes|
|• Grandstand Capacity||:||4,500|
|• Clubhouse Capacity||:||1,150|
|• Parking Capacity||:||4,500 cars|
|• Handle||:||$1,653,961 on August 13, 1994|
|• Attendance||:||14,672 on August 4, 1975|
- Delvin G. Miller, one of the nation's top harness racing drivers, established Meadow Lands Farm in Pennsylvania. He bought Adios as his breeding stallion. Adios soon became the leading sire in the history of the sport.
- Pari-mutuel betting was legalized in Pennsylvania.
- Miller founded The Meadows harness racing track near his breeding farm. The facility opened on June 28.
- The inaugural Adios Pace was run.
- The Meadows hit hard by attendance decrease due to presence of slot machines at tracks near it.
- The Meadows became the home of the prestigious Messenger Stakes, one of the legs of harness racing's Triple Crown.
- Hilton Group PLC, the parent firm of Ladbroke USA, put The Meadows up for sale.
- Magna Entertainment acquired The Meadows.