Penn National Race Course is a one-mile thoroughbred race track in Grantville, Pennsylvania. Live racing is held year-round.
Penn National's illustrious history and tradition has made it a major force in Central Pennsylvania's sports and entertainment scene. Through the wonders of simulcasting, its racing program is viewed by patrons across the nation and the world.
Penn National Race Course hosts some of the more prominent Stakes racing events in the state. Among these are:
- The Pennsylvania Governor's Cup
- The Missy Good Stakes
- The John J. Shumaker Handicap
- Jenny Wade Handicap
- Capital City Handicap
- Blue Mountain Juvenile Stakes
Penn National Race Course Track Facts
|• Main Track||:||one mile, oval|
|• Turf Course||:||seven furlongs|
|• Distance from last turn to finish line||:||990 feet|
History of Penn National Race Course
- Penn National opened its doors to a crowd of 10,686 on August 30. The track was owned and built by a group of civic leaders from Central Pennsylvania. In its first season, the track only had 100 racing dates.
- Penn National established a year-round racing calendar.
- Penn National pioneered the use of account wagering through the telephone.
- In March, the first off-track wagering facility opened in Erie, Pennsylvania.
- On May 26, 1994, Penn National Gaming, Inc, issued $18 million of stock in a public offering. It is now traded on NASDAQ.
- In November, Penn National Gaming, Inc. purchased Pocono Downs.
- In January, Penn National Gaming, Inc. purchased Charles Town Races.
- Penn National off-track wagering facilities rose to 10.
- An 11th off-track wagering facility was opened in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania.
More Race Tracks
- Balmoral Park
- Belmont Park
- Calder Race Course
- Churchill Downs
- Delaware Park
- Del Mar
- Delta Downs
- Fort Erie
- Gulfstream Park
- Hawthorne Race Course
- Hollywood Park
- Laurel Park
- Lone Star Park
- Monmouth Park
- Monticello Raceway
- Mountaineer Race Track
- Oaklawn Park
- Penn National
- Pimlico Race Course
- Pocono Downs
- Pompano Park
- Sam Houston Race Park
- Santa Anita Park
- The Meadows
- The Red Mile
- Woodbine Race Track